Monday 29 March 2010

Books I loved as a child

Going through the boxes that are STILL sitting in the little pink bedroom, I came across some old books that I had lovingly packed away when I moved house 11 years ago, and never unpacked again.

I thought that I would share some of them, as these were my favourite books when I was a little girl and would read them over and over, until someone managed to buy me a book that then took the "my favourite book" place, and was, in it's turn, read until it was dog eared and worn.


This one was a present from my Auntie Mo (Monix SHOULD remember this one as I think she had to read it to me every single night). I absolutely loved it - and think I was around 3 years old when this one made an appearance, given the "To my little precious, Happy 3rd birthday" which was written on the inside front cover. As a little girl, the thought of a cow wanting to see the world and floating down a canal was wonderful, and I think I drove everyone mad by the number of times I wanted it as a bed time story.



This was a Christmas present from my nan and grandad when I was 4 years old. I loved The Pogles. Little creatures that lived in the forest and occasionally "borrowed" items from people and then returned them. My favourite story was about a toy milk float that they found and used it to carry nuts about in.



This one was another great favourite, although by the time this one was bought for me at 5 years old, I was reading it myself so my family had some peace and quiet as I was always squirreled away reading it somewhere in the house.



Now this one has some special memories for me. When we used to go and spend the whole of the summer holidays with my Aunt and Uncle down in Portsmouth, they had (to my childs eyes) more books than the local library, so on rainy afternoons I would spend ages looking for books along their many bookshelves, and I loved this one. I think I was around 8 years old when I discovered it, and as my nose was always stuck in it, they gave it to me as a present when I was going home one time. I remember being speachless at the time - I couldnt believe that they were giving one of their treasured books to me - and I have treasured it ever since.



And finally, this one. I have no need to tell anyone what it is about as I think 90% of the known world has probably read it or heard about it. But at 8 years old, I started to read it (once again at Auntie M and Uncle N's house). Although I do remember being told "It might be a bit frightening in parts as it's really a grown ups book" and I admit the spiders and the trolls scared me to death - but I never told them, as I wanted to finish the book and was more scared that they would take it off me and not let me get to the end hahaha

4 comments:

  1. I remember all of these very well. I also remember the summer of 1976 when we went on the boating holiday on the Thames and Roald Dahl was our daily read. Do you still have those books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do indeedy still have them. I have all the books I was ever bought :-) I can never bring myself to part with any of them.

    Although I bought The Hobbit myself eventually - and now Ive dug it out, I think I may very well blow the dust off and re-read it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. well some of these memories are mine too; happy days! I remember well your hunger for the written word and am so glad to know that the desire is still alive in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll share another lovely memory I have which will be one of yours - you singing to us. I always remember you having such a beautiful voice. I also seem to remember someone playing a guitar for us, but my memory is failing me on this one, and although I THINK it was you, please correct me if Im wrong x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on my waffle. I'll reply when Im next online.